Why, you ask?
Well last night Ben and I were cooking together and he was in charge of chopping up the habanero pepper.
So off he goes, chop, chop, chopping away--he really is a great kitchen helper!
And I had this thought, you know maybe I should tell him to be careful to not get the habanero spicyness on his hand--but I thought, naah-- I'm sure nothing will happen.
And so, about 15 minutes later, Ben realized that his nose and upper lip were on fire! just burning like crazy because he had wiped his hot little hand on his face.
It was really one of the craziest things we have ever experienced, and pretty painful for him at the time...he was actually persperating because of the heat.
But anyway, he gave me permission to put this picture up, because I knew that although it wasn't funny at the time...it probably would be later. We were frantically searching around for how in the world we could cure the incredible burning.
We gave him a tomato paste mustache, smeared my girly rosewater salve balm on him, put cucumber slices up to his nose, just about everything! The cucumber seemed to help cool him off the best and finally we just put an ice pack on him for awhile...
it was a pretty intense night though.
So moral of the story, wear gloves when you chop habaneros.
It was funny because after the fiasco, we watched Slumdog Millionaire, and there is a sceen where the little girl picks some really hot peppers (with gloves on and everything) and puts them in a little boy's sheets. She was like 7 and even she knew to wear gloves- something Ben or I had never thought of. We thought it was pretty funny and will definitely follow her suit in the future!